Fort Hood to Mt. Hood

1st Cavalry, Fort Hood to Mt. Hood, Army, Viet Nam, War, Military, Portland Reunion


Click to add text, images, and other content

A Special Note:

A Great Time was had by all who attended the June 2015 1st Cav Reunion at FT.  Hood 



Bravo Company

This is the history of a group of soldiers who served together in the Vietnam War during the period July 1967 - July 1968. They were members of an elite airmobile infantry company of 160 soldiers, officially known as Bravo Company, 2nd Battalion, 8th Cavalry Regiment, 1st Cavalry Division (Airmobile). A tour of combat duty was exactly one year, and these Bravo Company troopers served during the peak of the Vietnam War and fought in some of the bloodiest battles of the war that included the Battle of Dak To (Nov 67), the Battle of Tam Quan (Dec 67), the TET Offensive (Jan-May 68) and the A Shau Valley Incursion (Apr-May 68).
Visit website at:

1st Cavalry History

For a brief history of the Division's Colors during the early days of the Korean War. Go to the following link:

1st Cavalry

We are now linked to the National Chapter of the 1st Cav.

Medical for your Spouse

Do you have a 100% from the VA? Did you know that even if your spouse has medical insurance she/he is eligible for CHAMPVA? As long as she is not eligible for TRICARE. For more information check out VA Pamphlet 80-09-01, pages 91 & 92. A lot of people bad mouth TRICARE, but I am retired Army and my wife falls under it. Other then the $150 deductible, we only have to pay 20% of what ever amount that TRICARE is willing to pay the doctor. ie: my wife had to have a ct scan of her brain (they could not figure out why a good looking smart woman would be married to an ugly old fart like me), the charge was $139 for the doctor to look at the scan. TRICARE paid 32.33 and I paid 10.78. I know that CHAMPVA does the same thing.

Specially Adapted Housing Grants

Certain veterans and servicemembers with service-connected disabilities may be entitled to a Specially Adapted Housing (SAH) grant from VA to help build a new specially adapted house, to adapt a home they already own, or buy a house and modify it to meet their disability-related requirements. Eligible veterans or servicemembers may now receive up to three grants, with the total dollar amount of the grants not to exceed the maximum allowable. Previous grant recipients who had received assistance of less than the current maximum allowable may be eligible for an additional SAH grant.

Eligibility for up to $60,000: VA may approve a grant of not more than 50 percent of the cost of building, buying, or adapting existing homes or paying to reduce indebtedness on a currently owned home that is being adapted, up to a maximum of $60,000. In certain instances, the full grant amount may be applied toward remodeling costs. Veterans and servicemembers must be determined eligible to receive compensation for permanent and total service-connected disability due to one of the following:

  1. Loss or loss of use of both lower extremities, such as to preclude locomotion without the aid of braces, crutches, canes or a wheelchair.
  2. Loss or loss of use of both upper extremities at or above the elbow.
  3. Blindness in both eyes, having only light perception, plus loss or loss of use of one lower extremity.
  4. Loss or loss of use of one lower extremity together with (a) residuals of organic disease or injury, or (b) the loss or loss of use of one upper extremity which so affects the functions of balance or propulsion as to preclude locomotion without the use of braces, canes, crutches or a wheelchair.
  5. Severe burn injuries

Eligibility for up to $12,000: VA may approve a grant for the cost, up to a maximum of $12,000, for necessary adaptations to a veteran’s or servicemember’s residence or to help them acquire a residence already adapted with special features for their disability, to purchase and adapt a home, or for adaptations to a family member’s home in which they will reside.

To be eligible for this grant, veterans and servicemembers must be entitled to compensation for permanent and total service-connected disability due to one of the following:

  1. Blindness in both eyes with 5/200 visual acuity or less.
  2. Anatomical loss or loss of use of both hands.
  3. Severe burn injuries.

Eligible veterans and servicemembers who are temporarily residing in a home owned by a family member may also receive a Temporary Residence Adaptation (TRA) grant to help the veteran or servicemember adapt the family member’s home to meet his or her special needs. Those eligible for a $60,000 grant would be permitted to use up to $14,000 and those eligible for a $12,000 grant would be permitted to use up to $2,000. Grant amounts will also be adjusted annually based on a cost-of-construction index. The first adjustment will occur Oct. 1, 2009, with adjustments each Oct. 1 thereafter. These adjustments will increase the grant amounts or leave them unchanged; they will not decrease the grant amounts.

The property must be located within the United States, which, for purposes of 38 U.S.C. chapter 21, includes the several states, territories, and possessions, including the District of Columbia, and the commonwealths of Puerto Rico and the Northern Mariana Islands. Additionally, the property may be located outside the United States, in a country or political subdivision which allows individuals to have or acquire a beneficial property interest, and in which the Secretary of Veteran Affairs, in his or her discretion, has determined that it is reasonably practicable for the Secretary to provide assistance in acquiring specially adapted housing.

Supplemental Financing: Veterans and servicemembers with available loan guaranty entitlement may also obtain a guaranteed loan or a direct loan from VA to supplement the grant to acquire a specially adapted home. Amounts with a guaranteed loan from a private lender will vary, but the maximum direct loan from VA is $33,000.

Additional information about the Specially Adapted Housing Program is available on VA’s Web site at

VA Clothing Allowance

Any veteran who is entitled to receive compensation for a service-connected disability for which he or she uses prosthetic or orthopedic appliances may receive an annual clothing allowance.The allowance also is available to any veteran whose service-connected skin condition requires prescribed medication that irreparably damages the veteran's outer garments.

The application for the Annual Clothing Allowance, VA Form 10-8678, can be downloaded from Please follow the directions on the form regarding where to submit this form. You can also contact your nearest VA Regional Office for more information.

The rate is $716.00/year. better then a stick in the eye.